Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy (Y)Ear of the Rabbit! :)

Photobucket

I know everyone will think their own mothers or grandmothers make the best pineapple tarts, but I really have to say that my mum makes the best pineapple tarts :) Think soft, crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth pastry wrapped around tart, chewy pineapple jam. I definitely prefer the covered version of this traditional favourite to the open-faced ones (and they're easier to make too :p). Our recipe originally came from my grandmother, who picked it up from a cooking class, then made her own modifications, and then my mum made her own modifications...so it's a sort-of family recipe.

My contribution to the annual CNY baking is usually in the design. We thought it'd be cute to make the tarts in the shape of whatever Chinese zodiac animal which was represented. So we've done rats, cows, skipped the tigers last year because that was too hard...and this year I'm proud to present my pineapple bunnies :)

Photobucket
With rainbow-coloured noses! :)


Photobucket
Of course I think the pink-nosed ones look the best ;p

Photobucket
The ears are sliced almonds, and the nose is a heart-shaped sprinkle. The face and mouth...well you're on your own for that :p I used a toothpick to carve those out...

Photobucket
The bunnies got a little fatter after baking...

Photobucket
My other contribution: peanut cookies (the recipe and step-by-step are in the previous post). Decided to try hearts and flowers this year :)

Photobucket

Have a hoppy, nutty new year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment